FAKE COURIER – DELIVERING PARCEL – CARD SCAM
Beware the Fake Courier (archive photo)
There is a new variation of the old fake courier scam currently doing the rounds in this country.
It goes as follows:
- A man rings or knocks on the door. He is carrying a small parcel.
- He tells you that the parcel is for you, even if you are not expecting one, and will persist in this.
- He will say that there is a delivery surcharge of a small amount like £1.
- When you offer to give him the money he says he can’t take cash payments, only payments by credit cards.
- He shows what appears to be a hand-held card machine.
- When you give him your card, he puts it into the machine and asks you to enter your pin number.
- He then makes out that the card is jammed in the machine.
- He says he will go to his van to get a tool to release it.
- He vanishes for a short time, in which unknown to you, he goes to a local cash machine, draws out a large sum of money from your account using your card and the pin number you entered into his fake card machine.
- He returns to you, and returns your card. You assume that he was honest after all, (until you get your next bank statement).
- He is a lot richer, with your money, and you know nothing about it.