FAKE POLICE AND BANK OFFICIALS ON THE TELEPHONE
WARNING – A NEW VERSION OF THIS SCAM IS NOW IN OPERATION SPECIALISING IN THOSE WHO HAVE MADE PURCHASES FROM A JEWELLERY SHOP!
Police are currently warning about a gang of thieves passing themselves off as members of the Metropolitan Police‘s Fraud Squad, shop staff, or bank officials who are currently operating a telephone scam where they target the elderly.
How do they do it? They call you claiming that they have arrested someone who has been using your credit or debit card, that there is a problem with your purchase, or that the magnetic strip on a credit or debit card needs replacing, and then claim that they need you to send them the original as part of the investigation. They then ask for the PIN number. They arrange for a fake courier to collect the card. Then, as they now have both the card and the pin, they go on a spending spree, or simply empty out your account!
Remember – Banks OR Police will NEVER ask for your PIN number over the telephone. Remember our catchphrase – Never Be The Victim!
- Bogus Fraud Squad Thieves in the Area – Preying on the Elderly (mrbloggyguarddog.wordpress.com)
- Reminder – Card Thieves in the Area – Preying on the Elderly by Telephone (mrbloggyguarddog.wordpress.com)
- Bogus Fraud Squad Thieves in the Area – Preying on the Elderly (sundialshipton.wordpress.com)
- Reminder – Card Thieves in the Area – Preying on the Elderly by Telephone (sundialshipton.wordpress.com)
- Bank card fraudsters target elderly East Grinstead woman (sussex.police.uk)