POLICE ARE WARNING OF A RISE IN THE NUMBER OF PICK-POCKETS IN THE BUILD-UP TO CHRISTMAS
If you are on the underground, going shopping, or in any crowded place, it is a ripe opportunity for thieves and pick-pockets to strike.
The Police have released the following precautions you can take to reduce the chances of your becoming a victim.
- Use a handbag that can be closed fully and properly, preferably with a zip.
- If you use a handbag with a strap, wear it across your body, not just resting on one shoulder, so it is more secure.
- You can use a purse lanyard which attaches your valuable items (like phone, purse, wallet etc) to your bag or clothes.
- If you do have to keep your purse or wallet in a shopping bag, put it in the bottom, covered from sight, and if possible, use a bag that can be closed.
- You should be as careful with your mobile phone, iPod, KIndle, Tablet or Laptop Computer as you are with your wallet or purse, and be careful where and when you take it out for use.
- Men should carry their wallets in a front pocket instead of in their back pockets.
- You should register your valuables onto the free on-line property database by following this link.